Monday, September 20, 2004

An Intrepid Captain, A Spunky Girl Reporter, and Some Rockin' Robots

SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
I'm not sure what to say about this movie that hasn't already been said better movie critics. How about this: GO SEE IT!

This has to be one of the best movies of the year. For those who don't know, it is a loving homage to the long ago Saturday morning serials such as Buck Rogers. It is exciting, funny and thoroughly enjoyable. It has been compared to Indiana Jones but I think that's unfair as it is a totally different style of homage. I especially liked the details that kept it true to the "Buck Rogers" genre: the sepia tones, Polly always wearing high heels because that's how they did it back then, the way characters communicated emotions through glances without having to talk us to death explaining how they feel, the fact that The Wizard of Oz was on screen at Radio City Music Hall ... oh, and did I mention the coolest robots ever? My favorites were the ones with the wiggly arms. I know that sounds weird but you'll know what I'm talking about when you see this movie ... and you will go see it, right?

If you want more detailed reviews, go to Jeffrey Overstreet or Roger Ebert. But you don't need them. Just go and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment