Friday, July 22, 2005

Pumping Gas and Watching Stars

Want to know what the stars are really like? Work at a gas station near where they live. Tom's nephew, Little John, grew up in Malibu and has a million stories ... as I pry them out of him (though so far not much prying has been required) I will share them.
Living in Malibu was an interesting experience. My first year of community college I worked at the only full service gas station in the area. Of course nobody who is anybody pumps their own gas, so I got to serve a lot of the big stars.

My friend Eden Unger's parents had built a spectacular home, even by Malibu standards, and a year or so after completion of the home I saw Eden at a party, which was rare since she was a sophmore at UC Berkley. Eden's parents were friends of Leo Penn (Sean's dad) and everyone in the world knew that Madonna and Sean were to be married in a super secret wedding. I asked Eden if the wedding would be at her house and she smiled and said, "maybe". We knew that was a yes. So, the next night I am working at the gas station and we hear that the big wedding is taking place at Eden's house. It was a madhouse, the first big paparazzi wedding with helicopters and the whole nine yards. At about midnight I am shutting the gas station when a short guy walks up and asks me for change for a dollar since he needs to use the pay phone (1984, before mobile phones). It's Tom Cruise. I think, "Wow is this guy short!" Anyway he says thanks and heads over to the pay phone. I shut the station and get in my car to go home and I notice he is still talking on the phone. I have always wondered why he needed to use our payphone at such a strange hour.

I have a million celebrity stories from Malibu and the Unocal 76 station!

No comments:

Post a Comment