Monday, September 19, 2005

As God Is My Witness, I Will Never Do Gauge Swatches Again!

You know, I used to knit sweaters all the time, long ago in my pre-children days. I never once checked the gauge. I just knit and the patterns worked. So why when prepping for this poncho I decided to suddenly get all proper I don't know.

However, I did it and found (quelle horreur!) that I needed needles three sizes larger than called for. Whew! Good thing I checked the gauge. So, what with my fits of knitting passion alternating with fits of total neglect it took a year to get the darned thing done. But, hey, it is ready just in time for Rose to wear it when (and if) the cooler weather hits Dallas. Right?

I finished casting off last night and before weaving in the loose yarn ends had Rose try it on. It looked really great. Except, you guessed it, that two of her friends could have fit into it with her. Aaaaargh!!!

Luckily I liked knitting it and was considering making one for Hannah also if she deemed it fashionable enough. So I will not be beat by this stupid (although totally cool looking) poncho. We will be getting more yarn. I will use the called for needles and try not to have all those times of neglect. So let's see if I can get the time down to ... oh ... maybe six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment