Friday, October 27, 2006

Abandoning Yourself to God's Will ... When You're in a Really Bad Mood

Y'all may remember that I told you Jen has some very good questions. She has one now ... go read it.

Here's my answer:
Having been in this situation just two days ago, and yesterday ... I am THERE on this feeling.

In my case, abandoning myself to God means a couple of things. First, once I have realized the problem, I tell Him I need help (and yes, I tell ... not ask ... so you can see how much help I need!).

Secondly, I turn to one of several prayers that I repeat like a mantra when I am feeling like that. Sometimes it is: "Jesus give me your strength."

Sometimes it is a Hail Mary because I know she had days like this too.

Sometimes it is: "Lord have mercy on my and bless (insert name of person I am annoyed at)." This prayer especially has the tendency to make me remember how I have habits that are JUST LIKE the ones that are annoying me in the other person. That goes a long way to making me calm down.

Which prayer? Whichever comes to mind and it is usually one of these. But I hang onto it like a lifeline, over and over, until the moment (or moments) pass and I don't need it any more.

That is the help that God gives me ... the right prayer to help me put my head down, BITE MY TONGUE, and get through it. And when I fail to do the above (sadly, this is often also but gradually getting less), He gives me the grace to recognize it and go apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment