Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Best Sports Movies?

I've seen people around the blogosphere saying that Hoosiers is the best sports movie ever.

I haven't seen a lot of sports movies. I knew it had Gene Hackman so that gave the "best sports movie ever" some more credibility. I knew it was about basketball in Indiana, which I discovered from watching the movie is like saying it is about football in Texas.

We were underwhelmed.

It was a fine movie with some good moments. However, it was merely "fine." Not "great." Certainly not "best sports movie ever."

Now, I am slightly hampered in recommending the "best sports movie ever" by the fact that, as I said, I haven't seen tons of sports movies. For instance, sometime I will get around to watching Cinderella Man. Not being a Russell Crowe fan, that may take a while. Also, there are lots of movies that showed up under IMDB's sports movie list which we didn't think were really about the sports as much as other things.

However, we were able to come up with this list of movies that if not "the best ever" certainly were enjoyed more in our household than Hoosiers.
  1. Miracle
    American underdogs beating the Russian hockey kings in the Olympics ... it don't get much better than that.

  2. Friday Night Lights
    Texas, football, Billy Bob Thornton ... 'nuff said.

  3. Remember the Titans
    football, overcoming segregation, Denzel Washington, killer soundtrack ... once more, 'nuff said.

  4. Seabiscuit
    the little horse that could ... and Toby Maguire too.

  5. Shaolin Soccer
    a strange but funny blend of soccer, shaolin kung fu, and pop culture references ... all with hilariously bad translations every so often.

  6. Rocky
    I have to tell you? It's Rocky. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment