Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Giving Up, Adding On, ... or Both?

Catholic School Student: Sister Hill? I really like going to church. Does that mean I can give it up for Lent?

Peggy: Well, now... I don't think God would like that very much, but you've caught him in a loophole. Good for you!
King of the Hill
Ok, time to 'fess up. Who's doing what for Lent? I'll go first ... like St. Therese of Lisieux, I want it all (though, let's face it, this all isn't exactly like when she reached into that toy basket).

Giving up: sweets. (As Laura H. said, "Does it sting?" Yes, thanks for asking, it does and it certainly will.)

Adding on: Regular prayer times using Magnificat. So we're talkin' 4 times a day. Once upon a time, I used to do this and it was quite fruitful. Why did I quit? I don't know ... but it's time to get back into the habit of making time for those regular conversations with God.

A Little of Both: More silence in my life. Which involves pulling back from some things (not so many podcasts maybe, no using the computer on the weekends and less in the evenings) and deliberately adding times with less noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment