Thursday, June 28, 2007

Prayer Works

The Anchoress reports on the resolution to the situation that had an urgent prayer request echoing 'round the world.
Prayer works. At one point, yesterday, we got the kid who was hurting the most out of that house, knowing - of course - that we’d have to bring her back. We worried about the “bringing back” part - what would we be bringing her home to? Buster told me that he was saying to God, “c’mon now, we have people praying all over the world, here - we’ve got three monasteries praying - we’ve put St. Joseph in charge of the father and Mary in charge of the Mother - we’ve corralled prayers from everyone from St. Michael the Archangel to St. Thomas More to St. John Fisher to all the Saints and Blessed Theresa’s and Elizabeth’s and even Kateri Tekakwitha! We roped in Cardinal O’ Connor and JPII - do you really need me to pray, too? It’s not like you don’t know the need!”

At that point the phone rang, with the news that things were straightening out, that things were markedly better and points would be addressed, matters were being handled - that we could take the kid back home without fear.
Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Do go read it all.

I thought it was interesting that she also confessed:
I was going to shut down comments on this thread, because I know you people and that you’re too generous and you also think much too well of me, and I didn’t want to be reading comments about how “good” we were to help this family. I’m not good. I went kicking and screaming into this saying, “what the hell? Why is this on my plate?” But I’ll let the comments stay open, because you all should have your chance to praise God, from whom all blessings - and all clarity and healing - flow.
Sometimes we are called to cooperate with God's will in extreme circumstances and we are open and willing. Much more of the time though, I think that , like The Anchoress, we are kicking and screaming and howling all the way there. I agree that it would be nice if that wasn't the case. However, it is when we are unwilling and yet cooperate anyway that we are humbled and taught lessons and allowed to see grace in ways that would not happen otherwise. Isn't that called a "teachable moment?"

And I thank God for them ... He knows if he waited around for my willingness, darn little would get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment