Saturday, August 25, 2007

Around the House

The Bourne Supremacy
A couple of weeks ago we got around to watching The Bourne Identity, spurred by Rose's having gone to see The Bourne Ultimatum without having seen any other of the trilogy. It was really good and almost made me like Matt Damon. Last night we followed it up with The Bourne Supremacy and I came out of it truly having enjoyed both the movie and Damon's acting. The fact that he is an average looking guy really works in this tale of ... well, if you haven't seen either of the other movies as we hadn't I don't want to spoil it for you. But this is a great follow up and a thinking man's action movie.

Lean, Mean Thirteen
Janet Evanovich's fluff was mindless but hilarious fun for the first few of the series. Actually for about the first eleven of the series. Unlike some I don't mind fluff ... it can be just the ticket for those over-busy days when you just want to relax. However, I finally have tired of the same old thing over and over. I wanted Stephanie to choose between Ranger and Morelli and move things on to something new. However, Evanovich is no dummy. Why do any thinking when the same old thing is raking in the dough? (Except for one's own pride in workmanship, but let's not go there, shall we?) Twelve was ok and Thirteen, which someone is anxiously waiting for me to return to the library, was tired ... very, very tired. Thank goodness Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series has been taking on a few twists and turns toward a new trend ... I still have a new installment of those to look forward to every spring.

Rose's Good Friends
Rose was sidelined due to extreme knee pain, caused by a herniated disk (You know when they say you should choose your ancestors well? She's pretty young but the combo of yoga and kung fu brought her to an early realization of back problems.) At any rate, as she was languishing on the couch last night, at 9:30 we had a ring on the doorbell. Voila, two of her good friends were there with a care package they'd put together at Target ... a hat (Rose's trademark, I might add), a couple of movies, some snacks, and ... best of all ... themselves! They stayed and watched the movies, ate some of the cookies I'd made for a pool party on Saturday (how wise of me to choose a recipe that makes a ton of cookies), and just generally had a wonderful time. Not to mention that Rose was left very happy that her friends had brought the party to her.

Pool Party
This afternoon is a pool party for the Beyond Cana couples' families that attended the last retreat ... and of course for us, the Core Team that presents the whole retreat. (In the winter, we throw a cocktail party for adults.) Because all work and no play makes us very, very dull, don't cha know? Our generous host couple is providing the pool and having someone come to be a lifeguard. There are supposed to be 39 kids in this gang (did I mention we're all Catholic? ha!) and they want a dedicated pair of eyes on the water which I think is very wise. My contribution is a batch of Supremes. I see that I haven't put a recipe up for these and can't believe I haven't yet as they are a really delicious bar cookie with a middle layer of chocolate that makes 64 in a batch and is always a hit. Sometime in the next few days I'll get that recipe up.

No comments:

Post a Comment