Friday, September 14, 2007

"Back of the Bus" Christians? No Way.

In the past couple of weeks I have encountered both Protestant friends and strangers who feel that the Catholic emphasis on the Church as the full depository of Christ's revelation is a put down, that Catholics consider them "back of the bus" Christians, that their prayers mean nothing.

Plainly put, this is against Church teachings, as stated in the Catechism, specifically from paragraph 817 on in this section (yes, I realize that is most of the section ... read it anyway).

Sadly, the way that some people put forward the Church as the "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church" is quite often uncharitable and argumentative to say the least. It is one thing to state and explain the truth, but quite another to rub it in someone's face like a bully with a handful of mud.

Red Neck Woman mirrors my own feelings, indeed my own condition, shockingly accurately. Certainly, in her conversion story, she states my stance much better than I could (I have added emphasis below.) The Church is not something to be flourished at others triumphantly. It is a gift that we wish to share, because everyone deserves something so wonderful as what we have found.

Here's the bit that pertains to this subject. However, her conversion story is well worth reading in its own right so click over there and do so.
I still am uncharitable, arrogant, and have an appalling lack of humility and it is only by the immense Grace of God that I am only slightly less so now than then. I want it clearly understood that I believe that the Fullness of Faith rests in the Catholic Church and that all of God's faithful children belong in the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. He has lead me home to the shelter of His Church and given me the gift of the Magisterium and the Sacraments and by His merciful kindness I will persevere to the end and continue to grow in holiness. That does not mean however, that I consider myself a better Christian than any of my Protestant brothers and sisters. They are my brothers and sisters in Christ and I am frequently and regularly humbled by their holiness. I am know without a doubt that there are many of my Protestant brothers and sisters who are better and holier Christians than I am and when you compensate for my lack of humility I am certain that the number is even higher than I acknowledge but just as I am a better Christian because of my submission to the Fullness of Faith in the Catholic Church they could be better too. I fervently pray for complete unity among all Christians and I believe that is only possible within the Roman Catholic Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment