Friday, March 21, 2008

Welcome Home, John C. Wright...Updated

I was raised Lutheran, and drank in anticatholicism with my mother's milk, so I assure you I am aware of most or all the objections, subtle and obvious, which you consciences in good faith might raise. The shock that came to me when I looked into Catholicism is that the Catholics do not teach what my teachers told me they teach.
I have wondered for some time if John C. Wright, science fiction writer and a former atheist, were Catholic. His remarks often gave off a Catholic vibe but I figured if he were Catholic that he'd have mentioned it before now.

Now I am thrilled to find out that after three years of consideration he will be entering the Catholic Church this Easter. I especially enjoyed reading his reassurances to Protestant, pagan, and atheist friends which shows just how thoroughly he did consider it all. Do go read.

Congratulations and welcome home!

Update
Anyone reading the comments on Wright's post may have noticed another favorite science fiction author (of mine, anyway) in the comments ... who confirmed that Michael Flynn is indeed Catholic. I suspected as much after reading Eifelheim ... that consideration of what creatures have souls was practically channeling some of the great thinkers of the Church, if they had been thinking about large, insectoid aliens who crash landed near them.

No comments:

Post a Comment