Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ten Most Fascinating Catholics of 2008

No one has tagged me but I have seen this making the rounds ... and began thinking about what qualifies someone as a fascinating Catholic of this year in particular.

The best I can come up with, personally, is who I'd like to meet ... let's say perhaps be seated next to on an airplane for a few hours of convivial conversation? Which means that I find them fascinating enough to want to be able to talk to them, right? (I'm excluding bloggers ... let's just take that as a given, ok?)

1. Pope Benedict 16. Well, duh.

2. Bishop Kevin Farrell, Dallas's bishop, and as Mama T put it with wanting to meet her Ft. Worth bishop, one who is breathing new life into our diocese.

3. Mike Aquilina, writer. He has been very kind in sending work to our company as well as unflaggingly enthusiastic whenever we are in contact. I know him "virtually" but would like to make it a face-to-face thing.

4. David Scott, writer. Met him (again virtually) via Mike Aquilina and David also has sent much work our way. There is no one better to have a phone conversation with. I'm just tellin' ya. Also, he wrote one of the most-ignored but best books I have ever read about Mother Teresa.

5. Dean Koontz , writer. His writing is getting more complex and nuanced and shows so clearly his Catholic soul. Plus, his very occasional podcast lets me know that he is funny, realistic, and self deprecating. A truly fascinating combination.

6. Jim Caviezel, actor. Everything I've read and heard from people who are in his parish tells me that he is a genuinely nice person who loves his faith. And, as you may know ... he's hot.

7. Michael Flynn , writer. Writes some of the best science fiction I've ever read and the careful Catholic reader sees his faith reflected in his work.

8. Aaron Neville, singer. He took me by complete surprise when listening to a brief podcast where he spoke of his life. Among all the many singers I heard on that show, he was the one who spoke of his faith and it was compelling. I later found out he is Catholic and has a devotion to St. Jude, whose medal he wears as an earring.

9. Peggy Noonan, writer. I especially liked her book about John Paul II and her faith.

10. John C. Wright, writer. I have liked the two books of his that I have managed to get my hands on, though I am under no illusions I could keep up with him conversationally I think it would be a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment