Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Pick for Overlooked Musical

Scott at Good News Film Reviews has three musical recommendations. Go see his comments ... I'll wait ...

He is wrong only in that The Sound of Music should NEVER be anyone's number one musical. It is good for kiddos but it is treacly and I much prefer Singin' in the Rain which has the virtue of being a fantastically funny movie as well.

I must say that I never thought of classifying The Wizard of Oz as a musical but I can see where that would come from.

I have never been able to make it all the way through The Fiddler on the Roof. Hate it. Now, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. THAT is a top three musical pick. Especially when you consider that they were running very short of film and thought of cutting the "Lonesome Polecat" number because they could only do one take. Everyone wanted to try anyway and it was perfect. That is amazing because they had to chop axes in sync and other such feats.

Check it out.



In case that left you feeling as if those brothers were sissies, I can't resist adding the barn raising dance. One-upmanship and athletic talent ... to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment