Wednesday, March 24, 2010

So How's It Going With Everyone's Lenten Sacrifices?

I've discovered some very good classical music podcasts.
They have just enough DJ-ish explanation to keep things going, but not enough to overshadow the music ... otherwise they'd be disqualified.

I also have found some great BBC classical shows like Discovering Music and The Early Music Show, as well as a couple of interesting BBC jazz shows like Jazz Library and Jazz Record Requests (thank you again Radio Downloader!)

Not to mention my regular favorites The Happy Hour Lounge and Theme Time Radio Hour with Bob Dylan.

However, I realized a couple of weeks ago how much I miss those spoken words when I misplaced my editing notes on that episode of Forgotten Classics and had to proof it a second time. Contrary to previous experiences, I didn't complain. I welcomed it! Oh, oh.

All that is to say that I have been struggling to keep from putting my post-Easter plan of one hour a day (to try to control the listening beast) into action now. Rationalizing, don't you know, that I see where the problem is, now I just must work on getting a handle on it.

I saw a few people here and there recently saying things like we give up things for Lent by the grace of God and if we fall, well God gives us grace then too. Or something like that.

It all sounded pretty good until I realized that part of this is about exercising (or taming) my will. If I fall, then I am supposed to get up and try again. And again. And, yes, even again if that is what it takes.

Otherwise it is all an easy thing like letting go of a New Years' resolution. I have to believe that opening that space for God is worth more struggle on my part. (Although, I here proudly report that I still haven't bought a book this year. Whew!)

Now, just to give me something to really look forward to, I received yesterday from SFFaudio, Dimiter by William "the Exorcist" Blatty.

Oh. Yeah.

Here's the skinny
Dimiter opens in the world’s most oppressive and isolated totalitarian state: Albania in the 1970s. A prisoner suspected of being an enemy agent is held by state security. An unsettling presence, though subjected to unimaginable torture he maintains an eerie silence. He escapes—and on the way to freedom, completes a mysterious mission. The prisoner is Dimiter, the American “agent from Hell.”

The scene shifts to Jerusalem, focusing on Hadassah Hospital and a cast of engaging, colorful characters: the brooding Christian Arab police detective, Peter Meral; Dr. Moses Mayo, a troubled but humorous neurologist; Samia, an attractive, sharp-tongued nurse; and assorted American and Israeli functionaries and hospital staff. All become enmeshed in a series of baffling, inexplicable deaths, until events explode in a surprising climax.

Told with unrelenting pace, Dimiter’s compelling, page-turning narrative is haunted by the search for faith and the truths of the human condition. Dimiter is William Peter Blatty’s first full novel since the 1983 publication of Legion.
Click through on the link to hear an excerpt.

As for the adding on part of Lent, I have made it to daily Mass almost every weekday. I have not managed to get into the speed-rosary in the back of the church, but it does make a wonderful background of prayer washing over me as I sit somewhat apart involved in my own communion with Jesus. So I do what I can on that front.

So that's all about me! How about everyone else? What's up with giving up and adding on for you?

3 comments:

  1. interesting novel...amazing how many of us are casting our attention to what went on behind the iron curtain. Lately I don't think it "fell" as much as I think it shrouded the rest of the world--particularly in light of this health care bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Lent: We decided to go meatless everyday in Lent. But we have given up so much more: On St. Blaise feast day, my husband goes to the doctor becuase he is having trouble swallowing. Two weeks later, on Ash Wednesday we both goes back to the doctor becuase he is only able to eat about 100 calories a day and drink only a few ounces of fluid. He looks 90 year old. Lent has been a round of tests and doctors, biopsies, feeding tube, visiting nurses, pharmacies and insurance calls, traveling hundreds of miles, unending prayer and crying and laughing. He has cancer, and the surgeon doesn't want to operate. Tomorrow we hope to have a plan in place for raditation and chemo. But here is the real Lent lesson: whenever I start to think of the hard times ahead, Jesus tells me that I only have to do what needs to be done today, He'll take care of tomorrow. Just trust. I know that is not news, but living it makes it real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anon., how horrible. But yet how good an example you are to us all ... I am adding your husband to the prayer list.

    ReplyDelete