Monday, April 26, 2010

This Hurt My Head ... and Made Me Laugh Out Loud

If you've ever wondered how someone like Bonaventure could preserve the eschatological edge of Franciscanism by correcting the excesses of Joachim of Fiore and his early receptors, and by making a subtle Christological shift of Christ from eschatological end to center of creation, then this is the book for you.
Ummm ... yeah, haven't we all wondered that? (Wait, I think reading the wrong blog. I'm getting out my dictionary.)

However, a minor friar actually made sense of it with the very next paragraph and made it apply to every day life. Good on ya, Brother Charles!

Just keep this in mind when you're reading, courtesy of Merriam Webster Dictionary:
Main Entry: es·cha·tol·o·gy
Pronunciation: \ˌes-kə-ˈtä-lə-jē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural es·cha·tol·o·gies
Etymology: Greek eschatos last, farthest
Date: 1844

1 : a branch of theology concerned with the final events in the history of the world or of humankind
2 : a belief concerning death, the end of the world, or the ultimate destiny of humankind; specifically : any of various Christian doctrines concerning the Second Coming, the resurrection of the dead, or the Last Judgment

2 comments:

  1. Edward Feser used the word "otiose" in his great book "The Last Superstition: Answering the New Atheists." I know it wasn't a compliment, and I think it's cousin to obscure and obsurantist, but I'm going to have to look it up. And that doesn't happen too often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! Pray that I will keep laughing at myself, too. Peace!

    ReplyDelete