Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Something I Really Like - Easy on the Eye

Not the puppies, though they are drop-dead cute.

The TV.

Tom bought my MacBook with some of our tax refund. I realized that what he'd really have liked for his birthday was something to replace our 20-year-old television. However, we didn't have that tax refund when it was his birthday. Obviously it was necessary to rectify that oversight. Especially after I heard him going over all the specs for televisions while we were lunching with friends.

Voila!
Apex Digital LD4088 40 in. LCD TV

Key Features
  • Flat Panel Type: LCD TV
  • Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (16:9)
  • Broadcast Format Displayed: 1080p (HDTV) 1080i (HDTV) 720p (HDTV) 480p (EDTV) 480i (SDTV)
  • LCD Response Time: 7 ms
  • Screen Size: 40 inch
  • Contrast Ratio: 1,800:1
It also has provided him with a bonus activity ... a new hobby as he tries to find just the right way to improve the sound, which he says is worse than that of our old television. Being glued to the glorious new "pop out of the screen" vision in front of me, I have hardly noticed.

The first movies we watched on it? Monsters, Inc. and The Incredibles.

6 comments:

  1. Did you compare your old TV with the new one side-by-side? We did when we got our new TV and it was incredible! And so funny. We were astounded that the old one looked like we were viewing it through cheesecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame on you for offering your readers an occasion to commit the sin of envy :)

    Actually, I've been too nervous to take the digital TV plunge because I'm afraid all of my old VHS stuff will be unwatchable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't think of that ... I have this mental image of us watching the old tv as if it were one of those very first ones with the little tiny round screen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. EegahInc ... ours work fine. A bit less distinct but completely watchable. Hannah and a pal watched Singing in the Rain (vhs) on the first evening and enjoyed it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We splurged on a nice TV after they asked at church for TV donations for the media room. My husband said that was a sign from God to get a big screen.

    I was reluctant, but wow. It is so nice. You can tell such a difference. We are amortizing the cost by getting our movies at the library for free (even though I think the library should charge for DVDs) instead of renting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'know, the picture quality on these things is wonderful, but my main reason for wanting one is so that I don't have to call for help when I'm rearranging! Picking up our old-style tv is backbreaking.

    ReplyDelete