Friday, October 22, 2010

You know, if I couldn't read books by people whose politics I disagreed with, I'd read almost no science fiction at all ...

On the same day Juan Williams was kicked out, Elizabeth Moon got herself "uninvited" from speaking at 2011 WISCON, a feminist SF con. Why? For the sin of writing that the proposed Islamic center at the 9/11 site is "a rude and tactless thing to propose (and, if carried out, to do.)"

I'm not sure what that has to do with SF or feminism. Although, they labeled her a racist for it. Not sure what that has to do with SF or feminism either.

This isn't that big a surprise actually.

SF writers and fans often are heavily into the liberal side of politics and, I have found, always assume that everybody else thinks just like they do. The religious or conservative fans know who each other are but don't publicize that fact usually to the SF gang at large.

Now we see why.

I have only experienced a little of this, but I know others who are more involved and have sad, sad stories to tell.

Pretty ironic, eh? The group you'd think would be most open minded of all, those dedicated to thinking outside the box for literature, are just like everyone else.

Via Aliens in This World who has a good post on it. Whose links directed me to Instapundit whence I found the link to Moon's writing.

3 comments:

  1. Science fiction follows the rules of science, but it projects past what is currently known.
    Violating what is considered "known" in sci-fi is a big no-no.
    Perhaps violating the dominant cultural rules is also a no-no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad. Although I am not a real sci-fan, I grew up reading Robert Heinlein books and enjoyed them immensely. I loved the original Star Trek for its openness to new ideas and to possibilities. C. S. Lewis' underappreciated but brilliant That Hideous Strength is a wonderful cautionary tale about the misuse of science and technology. Too bad that WISCON has gone N.I.C.E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are none so intolerant as those who claim to be "tolerant."

    ReplyDelete