Thursday, January 13, 2011

2010 Top Discoveries: Blogs

At last I have the time to return to these lists and share my favorite discoveries of last year. Today we look at blogs and these cover a variety of things. Enjoy!
  • Dust & Corruption
    Books and music, but mostly books of a Victorian horror sort.

  • A Life of Life
    Begin with the first post on March first and trace journey of life itself beginning with a trip from the sun. Sadly, this blog hasn't completed its mission, pausing on July 31 and not resuming thereafter. I hope it does resume eventually, however, your time will not be wasted by reading the almost daily short posts there.

  • Shelf Love
    A wide variety of books, well reviewed, with a large percentage that I find interesting enough to consider reading (a rarity!).

  •  Ten Thousand Places
    Margaret shares the ten thousand places she finds Christ, from poetry to photographs to quotes to links to books. A lovely place to dip into every day.

  • Hand Me Down Heaven
    Julie Cragon runs a Catholic book and church supply store with her family. I like her short thoughts on those she encounters there as well as her meditations on saints of the day which she anchors in her daily experiences.

  • Shirt of Flame
    Author Heather King calls herself "an ex-lawyer, ex-drunk Catholic convert with three memoirs: Parched (the dark years); Redeemed (crawling toward the light); and Shirt of Flame (forthcoming) (my year of wandering around Koreatown, L.A. "with" St. Therese of Lisieux, a cloistered 19th-c. French nun)." I haven't read any of her books yet but Redeemed has been recommended to me many times and I can see why from reading her meditations at her blog.

  • I Have to Sit Down
    Simcha Fisher writes honestly about her life. She's a mother of eight. She's a writer. She's Roman Catholic. And she's hilarious. In an honest way. Which is why she makes me laugh. For example: My family converted to Catholicism when I was about 4, and I’m not going anywhere. I consider myself a Hebrew Catholic, as my parents are both Jewish by birth. I’m still sorting out exactly how I ought to be preserving my Jewish heritage, beyond putting horseradish on everything; but in the mean time, don’t piss me off about Israel.

  • Art Inconnu
    Works by artists who are forgotten, under appreciated, or little known, as well as news, reviews and ephemera from the corners of art history. Works of startling quality can be found beyond the big names in the visual arts, whether it is just one exceptional work, an area of an artists oeuvre, or an entire career worth re-examining. And sometimes you might have seen them here too when I come across something I love too much to leave over there.

  • A Momentary Taste of Being
    Steven Riddle posts scads of links each day and you never know which one (or two or more) is going to grab you but I find something interesting about literature and reading here every day. My only wish is that Steven would share more of his own thoughts than the sentence or two which may grace a post. I like the links but Steven himself is the one whose thoughts interest me most.

  • xkcd
    How can a comic featuring stick figures be so darned funny? Because xkcd thinks like we do and then twists it a bit. (Like this, for example.) One of the funniest places on the internet.

  • The French Sampler
    Dash blogs about all sorts of things but they tend to be beautiful things. Architecture, style, design, a French sunset, and more all come under her curious gaze.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for these. I spent an hour going through them and a few resonate with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay,thanks! Looking forward to checking out the rest of this list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Julie! I am so touched, and thrilled to be in such great company. You're one of my great discoveries of 2010 too! :)

    ReplyDelete