Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Bishop's Hour and Happy Catholic: Today in ... about five minutes!

Some listeners call Bob Dunning a “bleeding heart liberal” while others swear he’s a right-wing conservative. ...

Dunning believes the contradictory assessments of his opinions reflect people’s perceptions of Catholicism itself. “The church’s teachings spread across the political spectrum,” he said in a recent interview with The Herald. “Who decided that being pro-life was a conservative position?” “I’m also against the death penalty,” he added, “which seems to mark me as a liberal.”

The church teaches respect for human life and the dignity of the human person, Dunning observed, yet Catholics can be divided on specific applications church teaching. “To me, being against capital punishment and against abortion under any circumstances is a consistent ethical position, but not all Catholics agree,” he said.
From what I can tell, Bob Dunning is my kind of guy and very probably a happy Catholic.

I'll find out very soon! Sorry for the lack of notice but my days have been crazy, y'all.

Happy.

But crazy.

Here's more information.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I don't know how you can be against abortion and in favor of capital punishment, just as you shouldn't be for abortion and against the death penalty. Both are the taking of a human life and no human being should have that power over another.

    I do not, however, have a problem with locking someone up and throwing away the key. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed yes. That is keeping the wolves from the sheep. As one of the sheep, I approve! :-)

    ReplyDelete