Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fascinating Facts: The 6 Most Frequently Quoted Brain Facts (That Are Total BS)

From Cracked, which means that there may be some bad language, but also means that it is probably full of interesting new info ... such as this ... which definitely made me feel better!
#3. "I'm Getting Older, so My Mind Isn't What It Used to Be."

What you heard: It's common knowledge that the brain deteriorates with age. That's why your grandpa keeps forgetting things, referring to the television as "the wireless" and calling you by your father's name. It's also why he's cranky all the time, and complains when anyone is making too much noise -- he's just getting on, and his old deteriorating brain can't handle the hectic modern world.

The truth: Discounting the ones who actually develop mental disorders like dementia or Alzheimer's, old people actually have better brains than the rest of us. Ironically, that's kind of what makes them seem so stupid -- their seasoned brains are taking in a whole lot of information that your comparatively idiotic brain just doesn't notice.

As it turns out, although your body tends to deteriorate as the years go on, your brain only gets sharper. Research has shown that, the older you get, the more information you take in from your environment. As a result, older people are actually better at problem solving, even though they become curmudgeonly and easily distracted at the same time due to the sheer amount of information their superior brains are taking in. ...
Read all about brains at Cracked.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm really happy to learn that the reason why I'm so distracted is because I"m taking in more information! Actually it's true, I perform much better at studying than I did when I was young!

    ReplyDelete