Thursday, September 8, 2011

Another Conversion That Began at Mass

Much to my surprise the Mass was entirely focused on Jesus Christ as the Second Person of the Trinity. I heard more Scripture read than I had ever heard in any Protestant church. I heard a 15 minute sermon on the Gospel reading. We said the Our Father together. We confessed our sins together. We prayed for the Church, the government, the needy, the lost and our selves. We remembered members of the Church who had died. We sang hymns. We kneeled. We stood. We made the sign of the Cross. We shook hands with each other and said, "Peace be with you." It was a corporate affair.

The fact that the Church has always understood the New Testament idea that Baptism was incorporation into Christ's Body, the Church, had always been something I admired about the Catholic Church. It made sense of why so much of the Mass was said out aloud, and acted out together. We were the Body of Christ. It wasn't just about me.
From Why I'm Catholic where you'll find many more conversion stories.

1 comment:

  1. I stop at Why I'm Catholic frequently. I love reading conversion stories. I saw that fellow's story yesterday and thought, if all Portestants go through his educational exploration, the majority would come home to the Catholic Church.

    ReplyDelete