Saturday, April 27, 2013

Book Review: Becoming a Great Godparent

Becoming a Great Godparent: Everything a Catholic Needs to KnowBecoming a Great Godparent: Everything a Catholic Needs to Know by Paraclete Press

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"I do have one godparent who has really been supportive of me my whole life. She has pushed me to become a better version of myself, and has supported me in the difficult decisions I've had to make. She treats me like I know she would treat her own kids."

=======

"Sadly, none of my godparents have really had an impact on my life. Two of them were involved with me early on, but I haven't spoken to them for years. The other two haven't really had an influence on my life at all."
These are among the responses from teenagers about their godparents which begin Becoming a Great Godparent. For me they are the whole point of this book and the reason both my husband and I read it with such interest. I long to be the first sort of godparent and have a terrible dread I will end up as the last sort. Certainly I am haunted by that last statement which drifts through my mind when I ponder how to be involved with our new godchild, Magdalena.

This handy little book is easy, quick read and offers excellent, simple advice for those who have been honored by being asked to help with a child's spiritual formation. It tells what godparents should do, gives ideas on how to stay close, has a very brief history, and answers commonly asked questions.

In short, this book is just what a new godparent needs to help them get off on the right foot and stay the course. Highly recommended.

Note: I received a review copy from the publisher. Would've loved it even if I'd have bought it for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment