Thursday, June 27, 2013

Caravans by James A. Michener

CaravansCaravans by James A. Michener

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I read one Michener book, The Source, long ago ... in fact, long before I became Christian ... just as a compelling way to travel through the history and people of a region. I still recall much of it vividly.

Michener was brought to my attention recently when I was looking through Kindle samples and reviews of more recent versions of geographical/gigantic historical fiction. As I discarded author after author, I found myself captivated by the couple of Michener samples I'd downloaded (specifically Caravans and The Source). I also realized I'd forgotten his shorter fiction such as Sayonara and The Bridges at Toko-Ri.

This book reminded me most of an H.V. Morton travel guide, but with a fictional veneer. Michener takes the reader through myriad facets of 1946 Afghanistan ranging from city life to nomad caravans. He simultaneously ponders civilization, faith, and man's essential nature. Written in 1966, this book also considers those who adhere to traditional thinking versus those who feel that progress means breaking away from civilization. Altogether a fascinating combination.

2 comments:

  1. O Happy Catholic -

    CARAVANS, THE SOURCE, and H.V. Morton -- bravo! As for HVM, IN THE STEPS OF SAINT PAUL is super. Thank you for sharing James A. Michener and H.V. Morton with your legions (?) of admirers!

    - Mack in Kirbyville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! You are very welcome! :-)

      Delete