Monday, February 1, 2016

Thank You, Ellen P.!

Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood is a story I've enjoyed in the past but it never prompted me to explore his other novels. This is, apparently, the time for exploration. It began with noticing The Sea-Hawk which matches the title of my favorite Errol Flynn movie. Turns out the title is about all they have in common.

What makes Sabatini's stories even better than the average swashbuckler is that he evidently was scrupulous in being historically exact. Yes, Lord Oliver existed and did those things. Now, that didn't keep Sabatini from inventing and exaggerating to give us a fuller story. And I'm ok with that. I'm not reading these because of the history. That's just a bonus.

Yesterday, I began downloading Kindle versions of all his free novels. I put ones I've gotta pay for in my Wish List for when I had to begin buying the ones the library doesn't have.

This is a very long introduction to say that I was dumbfounded this morning to see that Ellen P. gave me Bellarion. Amazon doesn't have a way to thank the giver so I'm doing it here! I'm looking forward to reading it! Thank you Ellen!

1 comment:

  1. :) HC is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Enjoy.... and know folks notic.

    ReplyDelete